Friday, January 1, 2010

Custom MLP: Kitsune

Kitsune is the fox formerly known as pony. It (I haven't decided if Kitsune should be male or female) was made from a pink fakie I found at Walgreen's and it's the size of a baby MLP. It features a re-angled neck, done with Sculpey — it was quite a revelation when I learned that you can bake a pony with no ill effects, though I wouldn't try it if the pony still has its hair (that stuff melts easily).

It also has a long, fluffy tail made from fake fur which was dyed by hand using a glorious technique elucidated by Beetlecat, here. The tail is attached with wire and is poseable.


The hair plugs along the back of the neck were plugged up with Sculpey as well, to give it a smoother look since I wasn't going to re-hair it. Then the pony was painted by hand with acrylics and given a matte sealant to prevent chipping/flaking. The fur was attached last.



Kitsune also features pink pawpads and white claws on all four feet:


It also has tiny black whisker-spots on its muzzle, like a canine, which you can see a little bit in this snap:


Kitsune has identical brand marks on both sides of its rump, like the old-school ponies had. The symbol is the kanji for fox. (I know, really original, amirite?)


The original plan:


And a progress picture I took right after baking. You can see the wire for the tail, which I had to insert before baking or painting since I wouldn't be able to get the pony's head off once that was done.


I haven't decided yet whether I'm willing to sell Kit. Leave a comment here or email me (summerdog.studio AT gmail) if you think you might be interested, and we'll talk.

0 comments:

 
based on a design by yummylolly.com