Monday, August 10, 2009

Cardboard coffee table: In progress!

Coffee tables are, if not my favorite furniture, then at least in my top five. DIY and design pages are chock full of awesome coffee tables scrounged, scavenged, and brought to glorious useful life by people who are lucky enough to be able to find either old tables to refurbish or suitable materials.

Me, I had cardboard, a masonite(?) frame I found behind a furniture store, cheap plastic tubing leftover from a Big Box modular shelving unit, and some glue.

I'm in love with the built-in box, though. I only wish it were my idea originally; I first saw it on The Cartonnistes.

The legs are the weakest link, surprisingly; the cardboard top holds up extremely well, especially since I went around all the joined edges using hot glue like caulk and then sealing that over with tape, but keeping the legs connected to the table surface is tricky. A friend of mine suggested a solution involving pie tins that I'm going to try once I get my next paycheck.

I'm also going to decorate it using colored duct tape. Turquoise and blaze orange, anyone?

0 comments:

 
based on a design by yummylolly.com